- Officer Souza and Officer Alfred Baranowski were shot and killed during an escape attempt from the Norfolk Prison. The inmate's wife had smuggled the gun into the prison for him. The inmate then shot and killed his wife and attempted to escape. Officers Souza and Baranowski were killed as the inmate attempted to escape.
- RIO DE JANEIRO (Reuters) - With a plasma TV, a DVD player, $172,000 in cash, gym equipment, two refrigerators and a couple of guns, Genilson Lino da Silva had everything he needed for a luxurious life -- in his Brazilian prison cell.
- ↑ Corrections Officer Alfred J. Baranowski (1972-07-31). Retrieved on 2008-06-08.
- ↑ Corrections Officer James R. Souza (1972-07-31). Retrieved on 2008-06-08.
- ↑ Reporting by Julio Villaverde; writing by Stuart Grudgings; editing by Todd Benson (2008-06-04). TV, guns, fridges - prisoner had it all. Reuters. Retrieved on 2008-06-08. “Officials said Da Silva, also known by his nickname "Leg," was serving time as the biggest drug trafficker in Bahia state. He was reported as saying the money in his cell was from old robberies and gambling in prison.”